My Friend Cameron

by guest blogger, Baker Lawrimore

IMG_3855

“Hey Cameron, need a ride?” We were moving pretty slowly (Cameron can't move as quickly as other kids his age) and we needed to pick up the pace.

“Yep,” he said, beaming as I hoisted him up and headed to the next session of the Fine Arts Camp. I was there as a teen helper; Cameron as a camper.

My friend Cameron Brown is extraordinary. I've thought about it, and I truly can't remember a time when Cameron was grouchy, moody, or even disagreeable. By contrast, he is absolutely delightful, even though his life hasn’t been easy. You see, Cameron has had a developmental disorder since birth. He’s had to take growth hormone shots, has been bullied, and has struggled to learn. Yet, Cameron emits contagious joy. Cameron has taught me a lot about life. Just by being the joyful, grateful person that he is, he blesses the people around him. As a college student, I hope to serve my community by living my life the way my friend Cameron lives his.

*Baker Lawrimore is a high school senior who plans to attend college Fall 2014, majoring in music. He and Cameron have been friends since 2006.

About the Author Baker Lawrimore

Leave a Comment:

8 comments
Cathy Payne Anderson says January 19, 2014

I love BOTH of these boys - the planet is better for your presence

Aileen Lawrimore says January 19, 2014

Love you Cathy! So thankful you are a part of the village raising my boy!

Jill says January 20, 2014

Baker and Cameron how fortunate you are to have met each other and become friends. Each one of us has our own strengths and weaknesses, gifts, abilities, and disabilities. What a blessing to be able to share yours with each other. You go Baker for the joy I see in your life and for reaching out to Cameron! Go Cameron for your strength, courage, and joy. What a testimony!

Aileen Lawrimore says January 20, 2014

So true Jill! Thanks for reading! 🙂

Sharon Brown says March 7, 2014

I LOVE CAMERON!!! I am his aunt, his daddys sister, and he is such a joy!!! I miss him and his family so much, I just wanted to thank you and your momma for writing articles about him, it gives me such joy to know he has wonderful friends around him to be there for him. Thanks for being Cameron's friend and loving him as I do.

Aileen Lawrimore says March 7, 2014

We feel so blessed to have Cameron--and the rest of his family too--in our lives, Sharon. Special friends, special blessing! Thanks for reading!

Common App Essay: Favorite Place - Aileen Goes On says January 1, 2015

[…] My Friend Cameron […]

Thank You #17 Cameron Brown | Aileen Goes On says August 26, 2016

[…] than our friendship." Just curious, Cameron: did you write that line? Because you sure do make your friends a top priority! Thanks […]

Add Your Reply